Helpful next steps

Who should you notify after the funeral?

When someone dies the simplest of practicalities can be hard to face, but when you have a copy of the death certificate there are some organisations you should notify. This is partly for security, and also so they do not continue to send communications to your loved one, causing you further distress.

It is often useful to obtain additional copies of the official death certificate called a ‘Certified Extract’ as some institutions only accept originals which they may retain. Registrars will charge a fee for ‘Certified Extracts’.

Tell Us Once

When the death was initially registered, your registrar may have given you a unique number to use for the Tell Us Once service. This is used to provide central and local Government agencies to update records in relation to: (and use list on second column only ensuring all capitalised to be consistent.

We have listed below the main organisations that are not included in the Tell Us Once service which you may wish to contact.

To help with this process, you may want to locate the following:

  • names and addresses of their next of kin as well as the details of surviving spouse or civil partner
  • name and address of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money) also known as executor or administrator
  • details of any benefits or entitlements awarded including state, armed forces and international pensions
  • details of any local council services being used such as the Blue Badge, social care or other health care
  • details of any driving licences and vehicles owned
  • details of any current and former passports

The service will use this information to contact:

  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with personal tax only
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to cancel or amend benefits
  • Passport Office – to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • the local Council – to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register public sector or armed forces pension schemes – to stop pension payments

Not included in Tell Us Once

We have listed below the main organisations that are not included in the Tell Us Once service which you may wish to contact.


  • HMRC for business tax, corporation tax or VAT related updates
  • Mortgage provider
  • Banks and building societies
  • Premium bond, loan or other financial organisations
  • Credit card, in-store cards and other loyalty programmes


  • House, car, breakdown, holiday and buildings insurance providers
  • Utility companies
  • TV licence, phone and broadband providers


  • Employer(s)
  • Education establishments if in current term
  • Professional associations
  • GP, hospital, dentist, optician and anyone else providing medical care: NHS and private provider
  • Charities, organisations or subscriptions the deceased made regular payments to
  • Libraries, children’s or adult services (meals, visits etc) or other clubs
  • Church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other places of worship
  • If the deceased has a licence for firearms, please contact the local police station.


Find out how to close or memorialise your loved one’s online accounts including email and social media with our Digital End of Life guide.

Mail redirection

You may also want to use the Post Office Redirection service for post addressed to the deceased based on a monthly, half yearly or annual basis. This intercepts mail originally addressed to the deceased but redirects it to an address of your choice. The Bereavement Register is also available to stop unsolicited post being sent to the deceased’s address.

Property and land

If the deceased owned land or property, a different updating process is required which is typically dealt with by the executor, administrator or lawyer appointed by the deceased or next of kin. They will also deal with any Wills or Letters of Wishes with regard to the overall estate (property and belongings).

Arrange a Funeral FAQs

View all FAQs >

Is there a cost difference between a burial and cremation?

The costs depend on where you plan to be buried or cremated as fees vary dramatically throughout the UK.

I'd like to have a private funeral but a big party - can you help?

We can assist with event planning for all elements of your funeral from the simple send-off to an extravagant celebration.

Are we limited to the number of cars?

You can have as many cars as you like, and if this is not enough, we can explore coaches or other options.

I am worried about thanking everyone who attends...

We can help. On the day we can provide attendance cards for mourners to sign or leave a message of condolence. We will collate them and bring them to you after the funeral so you can focus on saying goodbye. There's also our website where people can leave online tributes. 

How long should we keep the ashes?

There's no right or wrong answer. Retaining ashes is a very personal thing. Some people want to scatter them at a later date, others can't bear to part with them. We can help by providing practical storage advice and guiding you to make the decision that is most fitting for you and your family.

Can we take the flowers home after the funeral?

You can keep or leave, all or part, of any tribute just as you please. Often a memento is taken by family members or sometimes sprays can be donated to a church, hospice or nursing home. There is no "rule".